The Saugatuck Center for the Arts (SCA) is a non-profit art and cultural organization serving West Michigan’s lakeshore community. We offer year-round live performances, classes, and workshops for adults and children, outreach programs, festivals, exhibitions, a Farmer’s Market, and professional theatre in the summer through Mason Street Warehouse (MSW), an Equity theatre company.
This position will provide selected candidates with the opportunity to learn and work alongside professional Equity and non-Equity theatre personnel, applying and enhancing their knowledge bases. Dressers and Dresser Interns are expected to perform each and every duty and obligation with due diligence and to the best of their knowledge, skill, judgment, and ability. The Dresser is expected to devote such amounts of time, energy and skill as may be necessary to perform the duties required hereunder. Hours are dependent on performance times and include evenings and weekends.
- Assisting performers with costume changes as directed by the Wardrobe Supervisor, Stage Manager, Costume Designer and other authorized technical personnel
- Timely attendance at all technical rehearsals and dress rehearsals, performances, and
- Minor costume repairs and quick fixes
- Minor costume maintenance
- Meeting with theatre personnel, the Producer, the Board of Directors and/or others as designated by the Artistic Director
- Ability to pay attention and follow verbal and written directions
- Ability to work quickly, problem solve, and keep cool in stressful situations
- Strong organizational skills
- Leadership abilities
- Basic sewing skills
- Has appropriate physical strength/condition to perform physical tasks such as moving full costume racks
- Must be comfortable and discreet around undressed actors
The Dresser reports directly to the Wardrobe Supervisor and the (Equity) Stage Manager. Final employment authority is with the Producer and Artistic Director.
This is a temporary independent contractor position running for the length of a production, generally 3-4 weeks. It is possible to hold this position for more than one production per season. 2018 dates are June 18 – July 15 and/or August 14 – September 2.
College credit: It is the student Intern’s responsibility to arrange for college credit at his/her school. MSW/SCA is happy to assist by completing requested evaluations, reports or other documentation.
Please supply a cover letter and resume (with reference contact information)