PERFORMANCE / THEATRE ADMINISTRATION INTERN
The Saugatuck Center for the Arts (SCA) is a non-profit arts and cultural organization serving West Michigan’s lakeshore community. We offer year-round live performances, classes, and workshops for adults and children, outreach programs, festivals, exhibitions, a farmer’s market, and professional theatre in the summer through Mason Street Warehouse (MSW), an Equity theatre company.
This Performance / Theatre Administration internship will provide the student or young professional with an opportunity to experience a variety of aspects relating to the overall management of professional entertainment/performance events, with an emphasis on a resident Equity theatre company (Mason Street Warehouse). This internship will provide the selected candidate with the opportunity to learn and work alongside a Performance Administration professional and Theatre Producer, as well as several other industry professionals.
The Intern will be instructed in a variety of areas, including contracts, industry reporting, house management, company management, and customer (performer and patron) relations. The Performance / Theatre Administration Intern is expected to perform each and every duty and obligation with due diligence and to the best of his/her knowledge, skill, judgment, and ability, expanding capabilities as the internship progresses.
Opportunities, duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Attending staff meetings, production meetings, select performances, and special events
- Contract administration and reporting
- Assisting the Operations Manager/Company Manager with arrangements for Theatre and Concert artist housing, travel, and hospitality
- Interfacing with artists, crews, and patrons
- Preparing audition notices and appointment schedules with the Artistic Director, Casting Director, Producer and other staff
- Attending local auditions
- Assisting the Operations/Company Manager with hospitality for MSW photo calls, cast brunches, opening nights and cast parties
- Answering phones, copying, and filing as needed
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to keep information confidential
- Exemplary organizational skills and a deadline-oriented work ethic
- Ability to follow directions and work with minimal supervision
- A professional demeanor over the phone, person to person, and through e-mail
- A professional appearance and attitude at all times
- Appropriate physical condition to perform physical tasks such as filing, etc.
- Must have a valid driver’s license
REPORTS TO: The Performance / Theatre Administration Intern reports to the Producer / Performance Manager.
COMMITMENT: This is a part-time contracted position, approximately 8-16 hours per week, including some weekends and evenings. Hours are flexible and will vary week-to-week. It may be possible to schedule this internship with another position.
Ideal internship dates are January – May and May – September but are negotiable; associated opportunities will vary with internship period.
Use of a personal vehicle, phone, and computer is expected.
COMPENSATION: Negotiable. Housing may be available.
College credit: It is the student Intern’s responsibility to arrange for college credit at his/her school. MSW/SCA is happy to assist by completing requested evaluations, reports or other documentation.
TO APPLY: Please supply a cover letter and resume (with reference contact information) to: Ellen Engle, MSW Producer / SCA Performance Manager, email@example.com
DEADLINE: Submissions will be accepted and considered on a rolling basis.